5.25.2015

Five Jobs I've Learned to Tackle

I love being a mom and I'm constantly thanking God for handpicking me to be the mommy of two spirited kids! As their mom, I get to wear a lot of pretty cool hats - heart-shaper, teacher, hugger, boo-boo-kisser, cook, nurturer, mentor, personal shopper. While most of these hats I expected to wear as a mom, there are a few that I don't think people really talk about that I recently started thinking about.

1. Trash Collector
Why is it instinctive to cup my hands for my daughter when she spits out food she decides mid-chew that she doesn't like? She has a perfectly good napkin next to her, but for whatever reason spitting it in my hands makes more sense to her. More than that, she constantly brings me her trash. Empty fruit pouches, stickers that have lost their sticky, papers she is done coloring, broken doodads, etc. She brings me all of her trash despite my constant attempts at directing her toward the actual trash can.

2. Therapist
Are all 3-year-old girls as dramatic as mine? I feel like I am daily having to counsel her. (The following is all said behind uncontrollable tears and a red face) Daddy told me to wait until everyone got to the table to eat or I wanted to walk out the door first or This crayon broke. Everything requires a ten-minute therapy session. (The following is all said in the calmest voice possible even though some times I want to uncontrollably cry too) You aren't in trouble, it's just very important we eat as a family so we can spend time together or It doesn't matter who goes first out the door, we're all going to the same place or Adele, sometimes things like crayons break in life and we just have to learn to go on... there will be other crayons. When I found out I was having a girl, I knew I would have to mentally prepare for the teenage years because, you know, boys. Little did I know, I would get plenty of practice during the toddler years.

3. Crisis Control Manager
I majored in Public Relations. I'm happy to report I'm putting what I learned about crisis communications to good use... at home... with my kids. Step 1: Prepare for any situation. Ok, we're going to the playground for a play date today. Everyone has to use the potty/have a diaper change before we walk out the door. I have to remember to pack a snack and a change of clothes for everyone. Step 2: Be proactive if a disaster occurs: Ok, let me plan out what I'm going to say at the "press conference" with my daughter when I tell her we're going to leave the playground soon. Offer a plan of action: Adele, we have to leave now, but it's OK because we're going to go eat lunch! Step 3: Remain calm: Adele, it's OK that you spilled water on your shirt. It's just water; it will dry. Step 4: Have a plan B: OK, you really can't handle the water on your shirt? Here's the said change of clothes from Step 1.

4. Personal Assistant
Hello, I'm calling on behalf of Adele Wood. She was wondering if your daughter would like to come over to play tomorrow at 10 a.m. or I'm sorry, Elliot will be unable to attend therapy on that day, he has a pediatrician's appointment. I'm the keeper of their social calendar, the shopper of their groceries, the scheduler of their doctor's appointments. This in itself is a full-time job and requires more organization skills than I think I've ever used especially when you consider all of Elliot's needs.

5. Cruise Ship Entertainer
I always wanted to be the mom that played with her kids - the one that made lasting memories by building the forts, pushing the swings, participating in the tea parties, accessorizing the dolls. But, wow, it never ends! I mean, there's only so many times you can build a Lego tower and knock it down or dance around the living room to "Let it Go" before you start looking around for an adult to talk to. Here's the thing though... the second you stop building that tower or singing that song, the kid starts asking about the next activity and you're freaking out because it's still two hours from nap time. You learn to improvise... fast.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't trade any of it, of course. I have to admit that when their bedroom doors shut at the end of the night, it's nice to sit down with my hubby and reflect on a busy day of putting out fires, shepherding their little hearts and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment