11.17.2014

Waiting Rooms

Today Elliot had another cardiologist appointment and it went really well! She said his heart looks the same as it did during his last echo, which is good. She also said she won't need to see him again for another two months and after that she thinks we can go to seeing her every six months! She took him off of the Lasix too. I'm just still in amazement with how well he is doing. He's gaining weight and reaching all of his milestones on track. He really is a little fighter. We know surgery is on the horizon at some point in the next few years, but how wonderful it is to be able to just enjoy my baby and not have to worry about surgery right now.

Waiting for the echo!
While we were in the waiting room this morning, a little girl with Down syndrome was playing and reading. I couldn't help but watch her and think what was in store for Elliot. Her mom noticed and came right out and said to me, "Your little boy has Down syndrome like my daughter, doesn't he?" I said yes and we got to talking about our babies. This little girl was 12 years old and has been through five (yes, five!) open heart surgeries in her lifetime... all at Texas Children's, all successful. She told me her birth story and I told her Elliot's. She gave me some tips and told me that Elliot was just beautiful.

I've said it before, but Elliot truly brings out the best in people. We now have this instant connection with all these families that have children with DS. There's no awkwardness. There's no big elephant. There's only love for your children and mutual respect for your respective journeys. It's so wonderful to have that bond with other families, but I can't help but think how rich life would be if we all acted this way. If we all struck up conversations in waiting rooms and prayed over strangers' children... how beautiful life would be. Having Elliot really has taught me so much about prayer, relationships and hearts (both figurative and literal). Next time you're at the doctor's office, don't be afraid to talk to the stranger next to you... you never know who you might meet, whose day you might brighten or what they might need prayer for!

1 comment:

  1. This is all so wonderful! Elliot really does bring out the best in people, and I'm so glad to hear his health is in such good shape!!

    ReplyDelete